About us

About the Vrebac hunting ground

Croatian state hunting ground VREBAC number IX/23 is classified as a hunting ground of the Dinaric area and is located within the territorial area of the Lika-Senj county. The geographical location of the hunting ground is 15km east of the town of Gospić towards the town of Vrebac.

The hunting ground is located in a very hilly part of Lika. Its area is 12,640ha, of which 7,930ha are forests and the rest is lowlands. Forests cover 60% of the hunting ground area, and the remaining 40% are pastures and meadows. In the lowlands, forests are dominated by oaks (Quercus petraea) and hornbeams (Carpinus betulus). Predominant species in the mountainous areas are beech (Fagus) as well as thermophilic and mesophilic shrubs.

The hunting ground is primarily intended for breeding wild boar (Sus scrofa L.), roe deer (Capreolus capreolus L.), stag, brown bear (Ursus arctos L.), and common hare (Lepus europaeus Pall).

The terrain of the hunting ground is distinctly hilly and mostly covered with forests. It consists of medium and high massifs. The undulating topography is highly pronounced because the slope averages from 0 to 25 degrees. Karst sinkholes, typical valleys and “duliba” chalets are common in the hunting ground. The altitude ranges from 600 to 900 meters. The highest peak is Markov vrh – 1,000 meters above mean sea level. From a geological point of view, the hunting area is located on a base of hard to pure Jurassic limestones, which in subsequent layers transition to dolomite rock. The Jadova river originates in the southwestern part of the hunting ground. Worth mentioning is also the source of the Kovačica, which forms a small lake 4ha in size where the Kovačica starts its course. The climate is continental, characterized by cold winters, rich in rainfall, and dry hot summers. The average annual temperature is 8.4 degrees Celsius and the average annual rainfall is 1,393 mm. The prevailing winds at the hunting ground are both northerly and south-westerly, the bora and Sirocco.

The Vrebac hunting ground was founded in 1998 and has been managed by Mr. Milan Zalović ever since.

Commercial hunting

We offer our guests/hunters a wonderful hunting ground, rich in a variety of game, located in the heart of Lika (Lika highlands, between the mountain massifs Velebit and Lička Plješivica). As a trademark of our hunting ground, we have selected Roman goddess Diana, who is the protector of hunting and hunters. The purpose of the hunting ground is mainly wildlife breeding, protection, and commercial hunting. In its 23 years of existence, the hunting ground has provided numerous top trophies and thus gained a great reputation and recognition among hunting experts and fans around the world. What we are most proud of, however, is that satisfied customers keep coming back to the hunting ground year after year for both hunting and to enjoy our services during their stay.
The hunting ground provides all the necessary infrastructure, including 30 comfortable watchtowers (18 closed and 12 open), food storage facilities for wildlife, and automatic feeders. During their hunt and stay at the hunting ground, guests have at their disposal various off-road vehicles ranging from the Toyota Hilux to the Ford ranger Raptor, as well as an ATV and a tractor. We also offer the possibility of organising one-day trips to national parks Paklenica, North Velebit, Plitvice Lakes, and Nature Park Velebit.


Our guests can opt for accommodation in a luxurious wooden hunting lodge aptly named “Gaj”, which means “Grove in Croatian”, located in the heart of the Vrebac hunting ground. The lodge features 5 double bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, an additional lavatory, and a large living room with satellite TV and a café for warm and pleasant gatherings after or before an exciting hunt. The hunting lodge also boasts off a fireplace, barbecue, and bread oven for preparing hunting and fish specialities. Accommodation is based on a full-board meal plan, where gourmet meals are prepared by the owner of the hunting ground, Mr. Milan Zalović.